- Q & A
December 1977 Selection of California Wine
HANNS KORNELL EXTRA DRY CHAMPAGNE
Kornell Cellars was built in the 1880's by the Salmina family and operated for many years as the Larkmead Winery. It is located in St. Helena, in the heart of the Napa Valley. Hanns Kornell, the fourth generation of a champagne making family brought his champagne operation to the valley after eight years in Sonoma County. In 1952 he leased an old winery, and made champagne by night and sold it by day until he had enough money to buy Larkmead in 1958.
Kornell believes in good grapes as the basis of all that he is attempting to do, and chooses with devotion the still wines from which he makes his cuvees: Riesling, Chardonnay, White Pinot and Semillar. He has no vineyards but buys grapes and wines from which he makes champagne in the traditional "in the bottle" method. Blending a good palate, and training from early youth by grandfather, father and uncles is the secret of the Kornell success.
This Kornell Extra Dry Champagne is an excellent example of this success. It is medium dry, with a slightly yeasty taste, and a beautiful light golden color. Enjoy it chilled with a holiday brunch, or pour it for your New Years toast!
December 1977 Selection of Imported Wine
SAVORY & JAMES CREAM SHERRY
Sherry experts from Savory and James have for centuries selected the best quality from the production of a small triangular area of Jerez known as the Zona de Jerez Superior. In this area of Spain during the long hot summers a crust forms on the chalky white soil and the moisture is thereby retained beneath it. There is a unique lime concentration in this soil which causes grapes to grow bountifully.
The principal grape used in the production of this sherry is the Palomino although small quantities of Pedro Ximinez and Mantuo Canoczo are also used. After the grapes are picked they are exposed to the sun on large grass mats where they develop extra sugar. They are then pressed and fermented.
After fermentation some of the wine develops a surface cover of micob yeast known as flor. The wine which develops flor becomes one of the basic types of fino sherry: Fino, Manzanilla or Amontillado. Wine which does not develop flor becomes the rich Oloroso type commonly known as cream. These sherries are then blended with older sherries of the same type in a solera system. This Savory and James Cream is an excellent example of the Oloroso type. It is rich and mellow to the taste. Serve with desert or sip it by itself.
CELLARMASTER Wine Gift Packages
We suggest our own CELLARMASTER wine gift packages. They are illustrated and listed in the brochure enclosed with this newsletter. We have put together gifts in all price ranges. The Cellarmaster wood boxes are unique, and the contents are hand picked winners in their class. Please revue our brochure.
We also feature wine gift packs from the major vintner, who have presented their best in handsome cartons or wood boxes for festive giving. Here are some of them:
● ROBERT MONDAVI GIFT WOOD BOX each containing 3 fifths of their exceptional Cabernet Sauvignon; a 1972, a 1973, and a 1974. #701 $22.50(2.00)
● ROBERT MONDAVI THE ARCH GIFT BOX containing 2 fifths. A Fume Blanc 1974 and a Pinot Noir 1972. #702 $ 9.75(1.50)
● BERINGER GAMAY ROSE in a fifth size, with two handsome wine glasses. #703 $5.50(1.00)
● BERINGER BARENBLUT in a fifth size, with a wrought iron bottle holder and pourer. #704 $5.50(1.00)
● LOUIS M. MARTINI 705 SELECTION A three bottle selection of a fifth each of Zinfandel 1972, Johannisberg Riesling 1974, and Gamay Rose 1972. #705 $13.50(2.00)
● LOUIS M. MARTINI 706 SELECTION A three bottle selection of a fifth each of Cabernet Sauvignon 1970, Johannisberg Riesling 1974, and Gamay Rose 1975. #706 $14.50(2.00)
● PAUL MASSON CARAFE GLASS SET containing a quart of Rose wine in a carafe and two matching wine glasses. #707 $7.95 (1.00)
● PAUL MASSON CARAFE TRIO SET containing three pint carafes of Burgundy, Chablis, and Rose. #708 $4.77(1.50)
● PAUL MASSON SPICE RACK SET contains four mini carafes, one each of Burgundy, Chablis Rose, and Sangria, packed with 4 corks and a rack. #709 $7.95(1.50)
● CHARLES KRUG GIFT BOX containing two fifths, a Gamay Beaujolais and a Grey Riesling. #710 $6.85(1.50)
● INGLENOOK SHERRY & WINE BOOK The gift pack contains a fifth of super Cream Sherry and a hard bound copy of Nathan Chromans "The Treasury of American Wines"(book only normally sells for $14.95) #711 $7.99(1.50)
● BOLLA WOOD BOX. A six bottle selection of fifths. 2 Soave, 2 Valpolicella, 1 Bardolino, and 1 Rose. #712 $21.29(2.50)
● MOUTON CADET WOOD BOX. A six bottle selection of fifths. 2 each of Mouton Cadet red, white, and rose by Baron Philippe de Rotschild. #713 $27.54(2.50)
● SAN MARTIN FRUIT WINE GIFT PACK Contains a fifth each of Aprivette, Gran Pomo, and Sum Plum. #714 $7.62 (2.00)
GIVE A GIANT !!!
The IMPERIAL size bottles make a spectacular holiday gift.(192oz) Consider one of these:
● MOUTON CADET RED 1973 #715 $24.95(6.00)
● CHATEAU COS D'ESTOURNEL 1971 #716 $150.00(6.00)
● CHATEAU MOUTON ROTHSCHILD 1967 #717 $275.00(6.00)
Use the gift order form on the CELLARMASTER GIFT BOXES brochure to order any of these selections which can be sent directly to your gift list or sent to you, or you may use the order form in the next column.(Shipping charges per set appear in the parenthesis that follow the price)We select one domestic and one imported wine and feature it in our wine shop. We send you a bottle of each selection monthly. We send you a newsletter describing the wine and its background. We restrict our selections to the popular price range, not to exceed $10.00 for the two bottles of wine each month. If you are new to wines, it is a good way to learn about them. If you are a seasoned connoisseur, we invite you to test our evaluations and make your recommendations for future selections. (cut here) Please send me the domestic and imported selection each month. NAME PHONE STREET CITY AND ZIP CODE □ Charge my regular account at your shop. □ Charge my Bank of America card #___________________ Expiration date of card __________________ □ Charge my Master Charge card #_____________________ Expiration date of card __________________ Date_____________Signature_____________________ Mail to: "WINE OF THE MONTH CLUB" CELLARMASTER SELECTIONS Palos Verder Wines & Spirits 77 MALAGA COVE PLAZA PALOS VERDES ESTATES, CALIFORNIA 90274 Monterey Vineyard's Dick Peterson held a near-full house of LADV members and guests in rapt attention as he described the peculiar growing conditions for his Monterey County grapes. The long, cool growing season of Monterey County intensifies the natural varietal flavor producing particularly fruity wines from cold climate grapes such as Pinot Noir and Riesling. All present were served clusters of nine different freshly-picked varietal grapes. This, in itself, is unique; to have white grapes, normally early maturing, still on the vines in mid November. The flavor differences were also very pronounced. The Chardonnay grapes, while distinctive for their sun-blushed skins, were surprisingly bland to the tongue, while the Rieslings were spicy, fruity and sweet. The Petite Sirah grapes are easily identified by their extremely thick skins which are loaded with tannins that are released when the skin is crushed between the teeth. The Botrytis grape clusters were distinctive for having the appearance of white raisins. Among the nine Monterey Vineyard's wines served, the Botrytis Savignon Blanc '74 was the evening's favorite, but the Johannisberg Riesling '75 and the Pinot Noir '74 were selected by many as "Best of Evening". 1978 Events Manhattan Beach Chapter will sponsor a Chardonnay tasting in late January. This will be followed with a February tasting by the Palos Verdes Chapter featuring Chablis. This will be the second in the three tastings on the Great French White Burgundies. The specific dates will be announced with \-0,17 January mailing.