10% OFF Gift Catalog
Bordeaux, 2015. Chateau Magdeleine Bouhou

Bordeaux, 2015. Chateau Magdeleine Bouhou

Item #: B1120R1IF
Vintage: 2015
Varietal: Bordeaux
Vineyard/Appellation: Cotes De Blaye, Bordeaux
Color: Crimson
Nose: Classic Cassis
Palate: Generous Plum
Finish: Medium Tannin
Rating: 97
Cellaring/Serving Suggestions: Now thru 2025/Red Meat, Game/13.5% Alcohol by Volume

Enter your "ship to" name or log in to your address book.
Comparable Price: $27.99    Log in for LOWEST PRICE!
  • Description
  • Reviews

Since 1908 Chateau Magdeleine-Bouhou has been owned by the Rousseau family and is currently run by the fourth-generation member, Muriel Rousseau-Revaire. Muriel took over in 2004 and in 2010, hired Stephane Derenoncourt as consulting winemaker. Derenencourt is the most revered name in Bordeaux and is widely known for speaking his mind and turning good ch?teau into great wine producers. He has certainly made his mark here.

Derenecourt made quite a ruffle in Bordeaux when he declared the 2013 vintage the worst in history and unsalvageable. His peers were furious. Prices plummeted, but the effect was that many ch?teau saved money by not even bottling their wine because very few, if any, produced anything worth drinking. Derenencourt proved to be right and, as usual, on target.

But, what can he do in a great vintage like 2015? Well, here he did what he does best, make great wine. Magdeleine Bouhou is on the right bank of the Garonne River in the Cotes de Blaye and shares the same soil and climate as its neighbors. As a result, this wine is also made of the principle grape grown here, Merlot, which accounts for 90% of the blend. Malbec takes up the other 10%.

Here is a powerful expression of Bordeaux, offering generous black plum and cassis married to a balanced oak component, earth and licorice. It would be a classic accompaniment to flank steak soaked in soy, ginger and garlic or a lamb burger with feta and arugula.