Chardonnay, 2017. Olema

Chardonnay, 2017. Olema

Item #: C0821W2DC
Vintage: 2017
Varietal: Chardonnay
Vineyard/Appellation: Sonoma County, California
Color: Medium Gold
Nose: Lovely Apple
Palate: Vanilla, Spice
Finish: Luscious
Rating: 97
Cellaring/Serving Suggestions: Now thru 2023/Fish, Fowl, Vegetarian/ 13.5% Alcohol by Volume

Enter your "ship to" name or log in to your address book.
Comparable Price: $16.00    Log in for LOWEST PRICE!
  • Description
  • Reviews

We taste hundreds of wines each month in order to pick the finest ones we can offer at the best price. Occasionally we taste a wine we actually love, but circumstances such as the price being too high or too limited a quantity keep us from being able to offer it for sale. Amici was one of those wines.

Only about 10% of wine tasted fit our criteria, which means we have to slosh through the other 90% with zero benefits. So, we were very excited to learn that owners John Harris and Bob Shepherd were launching a new line of wines under the Olema label. The wines were still coming from the best parts of Sonoma, featuring the finest grapes they could acquire, but at a more affordable price.

It merely took us 16 years to finally acquire one we could offer. Clearly, we don't give up easily. It was worth the wait, as wines like this usually end up in the Limited Series, so to be able to offer it in the Classic is a major coup!

One taste will tell you that this selection is way above the norm. The grapes come from Carneros and the Russian River, which are two of the finest Chardonnay growing areas in California. Half the wine was aged in French oak, of which, 30% was new. This very precise handling is what accounts for the incredible accuracy of flavors. From honeydew and Asian pears to green apples, this is a wine that pairs well with scallops cooked in saffron butter or deep-fried black cod and fries doused with malt vinegar.

Close