John and Emma Salvestrin emigrated from Cavaso, Italy, in 1932 to purchase their home in Napa, complete with a 23-acre vineyard. That St. Helena vineyard was initially planted in the 1850s by Doctor George Crane as a place of respite. The vineyard added a little income to the estate, so all was well. At his passing in 1889, he had amassed over 100 acres of grapes. Over the years and through the torture of Prohibition, the property was parceled off to various owners. The Salvestrins purchased the original 23 acres and named it Dr. Crane Vineyard in commemoration.
What is interesting here is that it wasn't until 1994 when the third generation, manned by Rich Salvestrin, made their first wine. The winery was constructed in 2001, but not until 2012 did they make their first wine from Dr. Crane Vineyard.
Our Cavaso selection was named after the town, located in Trentino, where the grandparents of the current generation hailed. It is nothing less than a classic homage to Napa and particularly to one of the oldest vineyards in the state. The blend is 61% Merlot, 31% Syrah, 6% Petite Sirah and 2% Cabernet Sauvignon. The finished wine was aged in 35% new French and American oak for 18 months so that all the flavors could integrate. The result is as complex as imaginable throwing dark fruit and silky texture at every turn and just waiting for pork tenderloin in a mustard sauce pinched by tarragon.