The Palazzo Estate was founded over a century ago as a farm producing fruit trees, nuts, olives and grapes. They flourished for over half a century until the industrial development of Italy caused many of the farm workers toward the cities culminating in the closing of the winery in 1970.
Its history is what brought Anna Maria and Primo Banelli to the estate. They purchased it and began rebuilding the winery and farm to a new splendor. The fact that they were in Chianti, already a household word in the wine world, was the saving grace as it is today. The unparalleled surrounding countryside abounds in history and culture that date back to the Middle Ages. Abbeys, castles of thrilling beauty, hills just made for vineyards, wines of the highest quality are the elements which defines the Chianti area.
In the 1850s Chianti was second only to Bordeaux in the world of wine. In 1855 Bordeaux took the unusual step of classifying its vineyards and developed a system telling the consumers which were good, better and best. Chianti followed suit with its system, which also included the grapes that must be used.
There was no doubt that the principle grape here, Sangiovese, was the star as it is today. It brings the unmistakable aromas of black cherry and earth mixed with the leather and spice to present an endless swirl of flavors that seem to never end. Trying this wine with the grilled meats of the area is abject bliss.